How can we help you?
When you are taking care of your dental health, questions may arise, and they should. We want to be your partners as you work towards achieving and maintaining a beautiful smile. Our team is here to answer your questions and provide you with guidance for your dental health.
We've listed a few common questions we hear from our patients here. If you don't find the answer you need, call us at (321) 254-0306 and speak to a friendly and knowledgeable member of our team.
Both your Melbourne pediatric specialist and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) state that your child's dental visit should be at one year of age, or at least six months after the first tooth comes in. We encourage new parents, in particular, to visit as early as possible. It may seem absurd to take your toothless little one into a dental office. However, this is a critical time in your child’s development.
Benefits of Early Dental Visits For Your Child
There are many reasons to start dental care early on such as:
- It allows your pediatric dentist to begin monitoring your son or daughter's oral health and development so they can detect any concerns at an early stage.
- It helps your child acclimate to visiting the dentist and to understand that it's a safe and welcoming place. If any dental treatment is ever needed during your child’s development, it can mean the difference between a quick and easy fix and having to get sedated for treatment.
- This is an excellent time to ask questions about your son or daughter's oral development so you can make the most of your routine at home.
- Parent and guardian dental education is also a main focus of these early appointments. Most childhood dental issues can be prevented with the right habits that start even before your child begins to get teeth.
How to Prepare Your Child for The Dentist
You can prepare your child for his or her dental visits by talking about it beforehand in a positive way. Reading books or stories to them about visiting the dentist can also be helpful in preparing them for what's going to happen during their appointment. You might also consider bringing your child along with you to your cleaning and checkup so they can see what visiting the dentist is like.
Contact Our Melbourne Dental Clinic
We are happy to help! Contact our office for more information on preparing your son or daughter for their first dental visit.
Most commonly, we will complete the exam and cleaning while the parent or guardian is in the dental chair and your child is sitting on your lap.
Knee-to-knee is sometimes necessary. This process involves the parent or guardian and dentist sitting across from each other touching knees. The child lays on the parent or guardian’s lap as well as the dentist’s lap.
Contact Our Melbourne Dental Clinic
If you have any more questions on what to expect during a dental exam of this type or to schedule an appointment, please call our Melbourne dental clinic. We look forward to hearing from you.
It is natural to have concerns about how your child will react to dental treatment. The dentist will be able to advise you on the best way to get your child back to a healthy smile.
Sedation Dentistry Available
Our office is experienced at treating children and can complete most treatment without the use of sedation. However, our office does offer nitrous oxide sedation which, if necessary, can turn a nervous and anxious patient into a happy and cooperative patient.
Preventive dental care is a cornerstone of our Melbourne practice. Here are some tips to help care for your child's teeth to maintain their oral health.
- We recommend that an adult brush your child’s teeth twice a day; in the morning and right before bed
- Reduce sugary drinks and snacks throughout the day
- As soon as your child is able to spit out toothpaste, we recommend switching to fluoridated toothpaste
- Do not allow your child to sleep with a bottle containing milk, formula, or any other drink (with the exception of plain water)
- Bring your child to regular dental checkups to help get them acclimated to the dental office and to ensure that any problems are caught early
Call Our Melbourne Dental Practice
At 321 Family Dental, we are happy to help families with their oral health. Please contact our Melbourne, FL dental clinic if you have any questions or to schedule a dental exam. We look forward to hearing from you.